Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thing 8: Facebook

It was *very* difficult, after doing everything I possibly can to keep my privacy intact online for years, to put myself out there the way Facebook requires. I initially intended to keep my Facebook page for professional contacts only, but after a few days I succumbed to the temptation to add friends and people I'd known in the past as Facebook friends.

I'm glad I did for personal reasons, but I do see the enormous potential for professional networking that Facebook provides. I also see the potential for abuse. For instance, as I said before I have always tried to protect my privacy on the Internet. However, when I logged into my Facebook account one day, I noticed that someone popped up on my suggested Friends who never had my real name. I had, however, sent her email with the same email account with which I'd set up my Facebook account. Although I never gave Facebook permission to mine my Hotmail account for friends, apparently she did give permission on her account. Did I come up as a suggested friend on her Facebook account? I think that if so, that would be a gross violation of my privacy by Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment